Job Description - Specialist, Advising/Student Services
Description View created on 10/20/2014
Specialist, Advising/Student Services
Dean, Supervisor or designee
To provide academic advising and related student support services.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Advises students on various aspects of college programs such as majors, course selection, transferability, and pre-requisites for degree plans.
- Assists with recruiting prospective students by participating in College Connection program, including kick-off, admissions, advising, tours, and follow up.
- Reviews transcripts, authorizes and interprets test scores and other information for the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), and completes student TSI plans.
- Documents and inputs data regarding advising sessions into computer system; replies to e-mails and telephone calls regarding program or course issues.
- Disseminates information on the enrollment process, including admissions, financial aid, and assessment, advising, and transferring.
- Facilitates workshops and seminars in support of recruitment and retention.
- May perform assessment tests, present new student orientation, or other special projects to support recruitment and retention.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- College admissions procedures, programs, and courses.
- Multicultural education programs and systems.
- Student database systems.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Disseminating complex information.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling
- Work is routinely performed in office environments
- One year work experience in academic advising.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.