Job Description - Specialist, Tutoring
Description View created on 12/19/2014
Manager, Learning Lab
To provide support to students through the provision of individual and/or group tutorial services; coordinates with students, lab tutors, and faculty regarding tutorial services.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Tutors individual students or groups in designated areas of specialization, including college study skills.
- Organizes and leads study groups for subjects in high demand; organizes textbooks and/or supplemental learning materials as required.
- Assists in promoting maximum use of the Learning Lab resources and computer lab, including conducting classroom visits and communicating with faculty.
- Researches resources used for implementing tutorial activities.
- Provides feedback to faculty, Student Services and Office of Students with Disabilities as appropriate, regarding student performance and progress.
- Assists in developing and implementing tutor training in area of specialization; coordinates peer tutors in designated subject area.
- Provides assistance with developing, delivering and evaluating programs and services in area of specialization.
- Provides assistance with new hourly employee orientation as required.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Individual and group tutoring techniques and standards.
- Learning Lab services.
- Processes for organizing and leading study groups.
- Supplemental learning materials.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications as well as educational software, and providing technical support for desktop software.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Two years related work experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or discipline related to tutoring subject.
- Recent experience or practice working with subject material from area of specialization.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.