Job Description - Technician, HR Benefits
Description View created on 07/30/2015
Manager, HR Benefits
To provide customer service, research, accounting support, and assist with Benefits programs.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Compiles and tracks data, researches accounts, payments, account and payroll discrepancies, enrollments, cancellations, and adjustments.
- Reports on various Benefits programs, including retiree insurance programs, employee insurance programs, gym memberships, life insurance, and supplemental and voluntary benefits.
- Maintains Adjunct Group Benefits Program (AGBP) direct pay list and verifies/adjusts payments.
- Contacts past due participants for AGBP and Employee Retirement System of Texas (ERS) regarding payment and cancellation policies and practices.
- Coordinates with vendors and the Business Services Department's accountants regarding billing and payment discrepancies.
- Compiles, updates and maintains spreadsheets for retiree dental and medical reimbursements.
- Check payroll edits.
- Assists with special projects and programs.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Basic auditing and accounting standards, processes, and procedures.
- Billing discrepancy analysis and reporting processes.
- Spreadsheet software applications.
- Insurance and benefits programs in higher education.
- Datatel automated payment system or other similar system.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow through.
- Preparing and analyzing accounting and billing information.
- Following instructions precisely and demonstrating accuracy.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications, spreadsheet applications, and automated financial systems.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Two years related work experience in an accounting, benefit/insurance/bookkeeping environment or business related field.
- More than two years work experience in an accounting, benefits/insurance/bookkeeping environment or related business field.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Nine credit hours of college level accounting coursework.
- Knowledge of ACC Administrative Rules, Policies and Procedures, and/or Datatel software.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.