Job Description - Grounds Keeper
Description View created on 10/01/2014
To maintain campus grounds, sidewalks, roadways, and parking lots.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains shrubs, trees, lawns, planting areas, plants shrubs, trees, and flowers; prunes trees and shrubs.
- Removes debris from stairs and walks, rakes leaves, and mows lawns.
- Waters trees, shrubs, and lawns and performs irrigation activities.
- Sprays for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as required.
- Assists in the maintenance of parking lots and other surfaces, including minor asphalt repairs as required.
- Operates large power and field mowers, hand tools, power tools, and large vehicles associated with grounds maintenance and landscaping activities.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools as required.
- Complies with all applicable health and safety regulations, policies, and established work practices.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Equipment, tools, and procedures used in grounds care.
- Safe work practices.
- Fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule, with occasional nights and weekends.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Operating grounds maintenance equipment and tools.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals and dangerous equipment.
- Routine lifting of objects up to 80 pounds such as blowers, air compressors, saws and other equipment.
- Subject to standing or walking for long periods of time.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Work is performed primarily in an external environment and with exposure to inclement weather, and varying temperatures.
- One year grounds maintenance work experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Texas driver's license.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.