Job Description - Grounds Keeper, Lead
Description View created on 10/22/2014
To lead Groundskeepers in the maintenance of campus grounds, sidewalks, roadways, and parking lots.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates activities of subordinates; coordinates and assigns work to Groundskeepers in the maintenance of shrubs, trees, lawns, planting areas, and other grounds.
- Inspects work of staff and recommends corrective measures to meet established standards.
- Ensures staff has tools needed to perform daily tasks.
- Operates large power and field mowers, hand tools, power tools, and large vehicles associated with grounds maintenance and landscaping activities.
- Trims and prunes a variety of trees and shrubs as required; rakes leaves.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools as required.
- Complies with all applicable health and safety regulations, policies, and established work practices.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Equipment, tools, and procedures used in grounds care.
- Safe work practices.
- Fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule, with occasional nights and weekends.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Operating grounds maintenance equipment and tools.
- Overseeing and coordinating the activities of subordinate personnel.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Estimating time and material requirements of assigned work projects.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals and dangerous equipment.
- Routine lifting of objects up to 80 pounds such as blowers, air compressors, saws and other equipment.
- Subject to standing or walking for long periods of time.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Work is performed primarily in an external environment and with exposure to inclement weather, and varying temperatures.
- Two years grounds maintenance work experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Non-commercial Pesticide Applicator's License.Valid Texas Driver's License.Class C Commercial Driver's License.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.