Job Description - Painter
Description View created on 07/30/2015
To apply preparatory materials, patch, paint, stain and varnish to interior and exterior surfaces on campus.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Applies protective and decorative coats of paint, varnish, lacquer, and/or other related materials to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings, furniture, equipment, and other structures.
- Washes, scrapes, sands, and/or smoothes interior and exterior surfaces prior to painting, varnishing, lacquering, or applying other related materials.
- Directs temporary employees assisting in painting projects.
- Estimates time and materials necessary for projects.
- Cleans equipment, paint mixing area, and work area.
- Erects various types of scaffolding, staging, ladders, and planks to reach surfaces of work area for Painters and others.
- Complies with all applicable health and safety regulations, policies, and established work practices.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Paint products and equipment to include compliance with EPA and other governmental agencies.
- Hazardous materials handling, application, and disposal.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Estimating time and materials needed for assigned work projects.
- Preparing and applying paints, stains, and surface preparation materials to a wide variety of surfaces.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals and electrical currents
- Routine lifting of objects up to 80 pounds such as saws and other equipment.
- Subject to climbing stairs, ladders and scaffolds, and working at heights above 30 feet.
- Subject to standing or walking for long periods of time.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Work is performed in both internal and external environments with exposure to inclement weather and varying temperatures.
- Two years commercial painting work experience.
- Five years of commercial painting.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Texas driver's license.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.