Job Description - Specialist, Accounting
Description View created on 09/02/2014
Director, Manager, or Supervisor
To perform a variety of technical accounting duties involving the accounting, recording, processing, and reporting of financial and technical transactions.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Processes accounting, financial, and technical transactions for ACC in compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, and policies.
- Reviews source documents for compliance to rules and regulations; determines proper handling of financial and technical transactions within designated limits.
- Checks documents for validity and accuracy of information; processes, records, files, and distributes related paperwork.
- Reconciles and reclassifies transactions and data as directed; records changes, reconciles, and resolves differences.
- Enters data into computer systems; processes transactions, compiles documentation, prepares worksheets and generates reports.
- Maintains the accuracy of the accounting, financial, and technical records databases, according to ACC policies and procedures.
- Updates and researches records and files of expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, technical accounting systems, and business transactions.
- Provides information and assistance to ACC staff and students; assists customers with account information and policies; responds to requests for information within the span of authority.
- Provides assistance with annual audit and special projects as required.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Financial bookkeeping principles and methods.
- General Accounting standards, policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Processes for accessing information from financial accounting systems.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow through.
- Data entry and mathematical calculations.
- Maintaining accurate and interrelated financial records, and identifying and reconciling errors.
- Analyzing and interpreting technical and financial documents and calculations.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications, such as spreadsheet applications and automated financial systems.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Two years accounting work experience.
- Three years work experience in an accounting environment.
- Associate's Degree in business, accounting, or related field.
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, or related field.
- Knowledge of Datatel software.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.