Job Description - PBX Operator
Description View created on 03/02/2015
To operate the College#039;s PBX telephone system; efficiently answer, screen and route incoming calls; serve as a receptionist for designated departments as assigned.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Answers and screens calls to the College's general information number; routes calls to the most appropriate location.
- Provides general information such as registration times and locations as requested; answers general questions and directs walk-in traffic.
- Maintains an updated telephone directory to facilitate the efficient routing of calls.
- Receives outside deliveries such as UPS and Federal Express for the College, notifies relevant department of delivery arrivals; records and maintains the College manifest for each delivery received.
- Performs general office duties including filing, sorting, and mailing purchase documents.
- Assists College personnel with use of the fax machine; notifies departments regarding the arrival of incoming faxes; performs general maintenance on fax machine as specified.
- Records special telephone messages announcing holiday schedules or the closing of the College.
- Serves as receptionist to departments as assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Switchboard and PBX systems.
- Telephone etiquette and protocol.
- Fax machine use and maintenance.
- Delivery processes and manifests.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds
- Subject to sitting or standing for extended periods of time, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment
- One year experience as a PBX or switchboard operator.
- Customer service work experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Meridian M2250 Console.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.