Job Description - Coordinator, Clinical Lab
Description View created on 10/05/2015
Coordinator, Clinical Lab
Executive Dean, Health Science
To coordinate clinical learning lab facilities and services in assigned program area.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates day to day activities and services of assigned lab area including scheduling, lab set up, and management of lab equipment and supplies.
- May tutor or supervise students and/or coordinate the work of other personnel.
- Provides assistance to instructors and/or students in a clinical lab setting.
- Ensures that the lab/classroom is clean, safe, and organized; promotes safe lab practices.
- Repairs or coordinates the repair of lab equipment as required.
- Coordinates the ordering and re-supply of consumable lab equipment; conducts quarterly equipment inventories.
- May research, evaluate, and recommend new lab materials, equipment, and experiments.
- Responds to inquiries inside and outside of Austin Community College; may work with organizations outside of ACC in relation to providing lab services.
- Implements simulation activities as required.
- Acts as a liaison between lab personnel, the Department Chair, and the Safety Office.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Medical skills and equipment/technology applicable to area of assignment.
- Lab facilities and services
- Lab equipment and supplies.
- Safety standards and practices used in lab/classroom settings.
- Processes for maintaining and/or repairing lab equipment.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and wearing a pager as required.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy as well as working with diverse student and faculty populations.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow through.
- Remaining calm and logical, and following established procedures in emergency situations.
- Coordinating lab activities and services.
- Providing assistance to students and instructors in a clinical/lab environment.
- Promoting and ensuring safe lab practices.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Researching, evaluating and recommending new lab equipment and materials.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Exposure to hazards related to working in medical waste/sharps environment.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 30 pounds.
- Potential for exposure to contaminated blood and/or body fluid.
- Work is performed in a standard office and clinical lab environment.
- Three years related clinical experience.
- Bachelor's degree in related science field.
- Licensing in area of specialization such as Nursing, licensure as a Paramedic or an RDMS credential. Valid Texas Driver's License.
- Reliable transportation for travel in the Austin area as required.
- Community college teaching experience or experience managing a medical skills learning lab.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.