Job Description - Specialist, Adult Education Recruiting/Advising
Description View created on 01/25/2015
Specialist, Adult Education Recruiting/Advising
Supervisor, AE Student Transitions and Success
To provide direct student support to Adult Education students.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists with the recruitment, registration, assessment, enrollment, and retention processes of students in Adult Education classes.
- Conducts individual and group sessions with students to interpret assessment scores, set student goals, and discuss personal, social, and educational needs.
- Conducts transition sessions with students to disseminate information on preparing for post-secondary education, and/or employment.
- Visits classes in assigned caseload on a quarterly basis to determine student satisfaction and progress towards goals.
- Meets with students on a one-on-one basis when necessary, to resolve problems with classes.
- Makes referrals as necessary to other adult education providers and social service agencies.
- Assists with the preparations and participates in Career Fairs, Honor Society Induction Ceremony, and other student activities.
- Conducts follow up with students after program completion to determine status.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Adult Education programs, classes, and requirements.
- Learning assessment techniques and practices.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining a work schedule of 40 hours a week, as assigned: with frequent evenings and some weekends.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including the use of tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Effectively working with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- Working collaboratively.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling
- Work is routinely performed in office environments
- One year work experience with adult learners in an educational setting.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or related field.
- Valid Texas driver's license.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.