Job Description - District Police, Safety Officer
Description View created on 10/21/2014
District Police, Safety Officer
District Police, Sergeant
To assist College police officers in routine safety and security activities.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Opens and secures buildings and classrooms and monitors College equipment inventory in routine patrols.
- Files daily logs, incident reports, issues parking permits, and citations.
- Assists the College police officers in enforcing policies and regulations of the College and the laws of the State of Texas.
- Coordinates with and assists other agencies in responding to medical emergencies, disturbances, and fire and burglar alarms.
- Maintains equipment.
- Testifies on behalf of the College in court proceedings as appropriate.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Texas Motor Vehicle Code.
- Current principles and practices related to safety and security.
- Hazardous chemicals and materials, first aid, and CPR.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Demonstrated proficiency using basic office software applications.
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, drugs, and infectious and communicable diseases.
- May be required to physically restrain persons
- Occasional lifting objects up to 50 pounds.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, and running.
- Work is performed primarily in an external environment with exposure to inclement weather and varying temperatures.
- One year related work experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Texas driver's license.
- Must meet all Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education requirements for employment as a police officer.
- District Police Officers must be able to work at or on any District property and must be able to work any of three shifts covering twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Ability to successfully complete background check and drug screen prior to employment. Past supervisors may be interviewed for a reference.
- Knowledge of College's and College Police Department policies, procedures, and standard operating practices. CPR and Basic First Aid Certification.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.