Adjunct Faculty, Culinary Arts
This position is past the Close Date, no more applications will be accepted.
|Hours||Various according to course schedule|
|Salary||Salary is assigned according to the Adjunct Faculty Salary Scale|
|Criminal Background Check||Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.|
To instruct students in Culinary Arts courses in accordance with College policies and procedures.
Department Chair, Culinary Arts
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Instructs students in courses in the Culinary Arts discipline. Provides learning activities that stimulate student involvement and encourage critical thinking.
- Serves on college-wide and departmental committees as needed. May assist with registration processes.
- Integrates life skills, interpersonal skills, and workforce development skills with academics.
- Prepares students for success to meet the stated requirements of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), Southern Association of Colleges (SACS), and the American Culinary Foundation.
- May supervise student interns in external placements.
- Completes annual professional development as required by the American Culinary Federation and Austin Community College.
- Maintains regular office hours to assist students; responds to students' emails and voice mails in a timely fashion; performs accurate assessment of student performance.
- May perform other related tasks as assigned by the Department Chair, Dean, and/or Executive Vice President.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Extensive knowledge of subject matter and relevant topics and issues in the teaching discipline.
- Knowledge of effective instructional techniques and innovative modes of course delivery adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Must be knowledgeable about and capable of using current technologies in the classroom and to convey online course content.
- Understanding the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
- Working cooperatively with colleagues.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Must demonstrate creativity and innovation in the field, service in the profession, and/or the community.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills including use of tact and discretion and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Effectively assisting and assessing student learning.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Being punctual for classes and office hours.
- Maintaining an established schedule, including evenings and weekends, including possible multiple campus locations that may vary by semester.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom and online learning as well as to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, grades . . . etc.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and colleagues.
- Work is routinely performed in a classroom or office setting.
- Manual dexterity and physical ability to demonstrate and use tools and equipment used in Culinary Arts.
- Three years work experience in the culinary industry.
- Successful college-level teaching in Culinary Arts. Five years work experience in culinary industry and community college teaching experience.
- In accordance with SACS accreditation standards, Associate's degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management, Food Science, or Hotel/Restaurant Management.
- Bachelor's degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management, Food Science, or Hotel/Restaurant Management.
- Must be eligible for American Culinary Federation Certification.
- This is a Security Sensitive position. Pre-Employment Criminal History Checks are required. Official transcripts are required. Reliable transportation may be required for teaching in multiple campus locations.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Applications are complete upon receipt of an official transcript. ACC only accepts transcripts that are mailed directly from educational institutions. Educational Institutions must mail transcripts to the Highland Business Center, Attn. E.M. Breedlove, 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752.
Transcript Policy http://www.austincc.edu/hr/apply/transcriptpolicy.php
Applicants who have degrees earned from educational institutions located outside of the United States are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a recognized credential evaluation service prior to applying for Faculty and/or Adjunct Faculty positions. If the transcripts are in a foreign language, applicants also need to have their transcripts translated prior to applying for ACC job opportunities.
Foreign Transcript Policy http://www.austincc.edu/hr/apply/transcriptpolicy.php
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 90 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.