Coordinator, Clinical Lab - Nursing
This position is past the Close Date, no more applications will be accepted.
|Hours||Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Criminal Background Check||Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department. Unless, otherwise provided by law, a criminal record does not automatically disqualify an applicant or employee, nor does it automatically deny a person’s access to any of the College’s online systems. Determinations of suitability will be made consistent with College policy, practices and all applicable laws and regulations.|
To coordinate clinical learning lab facilities and services in the nursing program area.
Department Chair, Vocational Nursing
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates day to day activities and services of the nursing lab area including scheduling, lab set up, and management of lab equipment and supplies; including the Associate Degree, Vocational Nursing Programs, and other health science departments. Coordinates management of lab equipment and supplies to nursing labs at other ACC locations.
- Tutors or supervises students and/or coordinates the work of other personnel.
- Provides assistance to instructors and/or students in a clinical lab setting.
- Ensures that the lab/classroom is clean, safe, and organized; promotes safe lab practices.
- Repairs or coordinates the repair of lab equipment as required.
- Coordinates the ordering and re-supply of consumable lab equipment; conducts quarterly equipment inventories.
- May research, evaluate, and recommend new lab materials, equipment, and experiments.
- Responds to inquiries inside and outside of Austin Community College; may work with organizations outside of ACC in relation to providing lab services.
- Implements simulation activities with the Simulation Liaison as required.
- Acts as a liaison between lab personnel, the Department Chair, and the Safety Office.
- Complies with the NLNAC accreditation requirements.
- Establishes and updates laboratory policies and procedures.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of records and reports.
- Updates the Nursing Skills Lab website.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Medical skills, equipment, and technology used in the nursing area.
- Lab facilities and services
- Lab equipment and supplies.
- Safety standards and practices used in lab/classroom settings.
- Processes for maintaining and/or repairing lab equipment.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and wearing a pager as required.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy as well as working with diverse student and faculty populations.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow through.
- Remaining calm and logical, and following established procedures in emergency situations.
- Coordinating lab activities and services.
- Providing assistance to students and instructors in a clinical/lab environment.
- Promoting and ensuring safe lab practices.
- Researching, evaluating and recommending new lab equipment and materials.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Exposure to hazards related to working in medical waste/sharps environment.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 30 pounds.
- Potential for exposure to contaminated blood and/or body fluid.
- Subject to walking, sitting, standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, and stooping.
- Work is performed in a standard office and lab environment.
- Three years work experience in acute care nursing.
- Community college teaching experience or work experience managing a medical skills learning lab. Recent medical surgical expereince.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing.
- Master's degree in Nursing.
- Valid State of Texas Registered Nurse license and/or privilage to practice as an RN in Texas with no current disciplinary action.Valid Texas Drivers License.
- Reliable transportation for travel in the Austin area as required.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 90 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.