Technician, Science Lab
This position is past the Close Date, no more applications will be accepted.
|Location||Round Rock Campus|
|Hours||Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and evenings and weekend hours on occasion.|
|Criminal Background Check||Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department. Unless, otherwise provided by law, a criminal record does not automatically disqualify an applicant or employee, nor does it automatically deny a person's access to any of the College's online systems. Determinations of suitability will be made consistent with College policy, practices and all applicable laws and regulations.|
To provide complex lab and/or classroom support services related to science disciplines for faculty and students.
Department Chair, Biology
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains Biology lab and/or classroom environment by organizing, cleaning, and preparing materials and supplies.
- Organizes, plans, and prioritizes laboratory activities for designated area.
- May assist students in use of lab equipment and facilities.
- Performs clerical duties including operating a computer, maintaining records and files, and compiling data and reports as required.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies and materials.
- Collects data, records, and other information and submits reports as required.
- Coordinates, operates, and monitors lab facilities and activities. Directs and organizes preparation of lab materials, supplies, workstations, equipment, computers, and other media to ensure efficient lab operations.
- Organizes, plans, and prioritizes the overall coordination of laboratory activities for designated area; adapts and applies laboratory methods, practices, and techniques common to designated area. Directs or performs the preparation of student experiments and demonstrations, performing routine and analytical work; pilots new labs to be considered. Implements new or modified laboratory policies and procedures.
- Ensures safe laboratory conditions including safe and secure handling and storage of supplies and equipment, recommends, implements and maintains safety standards and departmental policies and procedures to comply with federal, state, and local hazardous materials, health and safety, hazardous waste regulations, and other applicable regulations.
- Initiates purchase requisitions, controls expenditures, prepares cost estimates for budget recommendation, and submits justifications and requests for capital outlay items; prepares specifications and analyzes bids for purchases.
- Operates, installs, maintains, and trouble-shoots equipment; sets up, configures, and calibrates new equipment; writes instructions and standard operating procedures for equipment operation. Performs routine maintenance and repair.
- May be assigned special projects or assignments based on the unique needs of the assigned lab.
- May schedule, train, and monitor the work of lab assistants and other staff.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of specialized discipline such as Biology, Microbiology and Chemistry depending on the area of assignment.
- Laboratory tests and experiments policies and procedures for science disciplines.
- Hazardous material/waste handling and disposal.
- Laboratory safety practices.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Handling lab materials precisely and accurately.
- Effectively working with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills, including the use of attention to detail and follow-through.
- Understanding and following instructions precisely.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including the use of tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated proficiency at an intermediate level using standard office and laboratory software applications.
- May be subject to fumes, odors, dust, mists, or gases.
- May be subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional to routine lifting of objects up to 50 pounds.
- Subject to hazards such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current and exposure to high heat or chemicals.
- Work is routinely performed in a science or technical laboratory setting and may include some outside work.
- Three years work experience in related field.
- Associate's degree in Biology or a related science area.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or a related science area.
- Depending on area of assignment, may require a valid Texas Drivers License.
- Depending on area of assignment, may require Hazard Communications Training.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.