University of Texas Austin
Master of Arts
Curriculum & Instruction
Karlene Patricia Bennett, M.A. in Ed.
5800 Techni Center Drive, Apt.825
Austin, Texas 78721
512-674-0006 (h);*512-597-7217(wk);*email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Mentor Director and Child Care Trainer
Over 30 years experience in the field of education, and over 20 years in the field of Early Childhood Education, as a teacher, Trainer, Child Care Center Director, School Age Manager, Child Care Advocate and Director Mentor.
Experience October 2009-current: “Taking Charge of Change
Austin” Instructor for leadership course @ Austin
May, 2007-present: Director Mentor,
WorkSource Child Care Solutions
Sept. 2004-May, 2007; School Age Manager,
Oct. 2002-2004: Site Director, Open Door
2001-2002: Curriculum Coordinator, Open Door
1999-2001: Executive Director, Ebenezer Child
1996-1999: Curriculum Coordinator, Ebenezer
Child Development Center
1994-1996: Licensing Trainer @ Texas Child
Care Licensing, DPRS
1991-present: Adjunct Instructor, Child
Development Dept., Austin Community College
- Recipient of the 2010 AAEYC Leadership Award for excellence in Leadership in the community.
- 2009-2010: President, Austin Association for the Education of Young Children.
- 2009-2010: Presenter Chair, Austin Association for the Education of Young Children.
- 2009-2010: Conference co-chair, 2010 Texas Association for the Education of Young Children Conference.
- 2008-2009: President Elect, Austin Association for the Education of Young Children.
- 2008-2009: Presenter Chair, Austin Association for the Education of Young Children.
- 2007-8: Conference co-chair, Austin Association for the Education of Young Children
- *2006-2008: Member at Large, Austin Association for the Education of Young Children
Past skills (1996-2000)
- *Validator, National Association for Family Child Care
- *Certified Parents as Teachers Educator
- 2000-2002: Special Care Trainer for a Curriculum on Special Needs, Inclusive Task Force, Austin, Texas
- 2005 & 2007: Completed updated training for the Texas Trainer’s Registry. Packet to be submitted by July, 2010.
- May 2005: Planned the first School Age Professional Day Conference, Children’s Courtyard, Austin
- January 2007: Coordinated plans for the School Age Summer programs @ Children’s Courtyard in Austin, Texas
- June, 2007: Completed the Child Care Health Consultant Training
(5.5 hrs of Train the Trainer Training)
- July, 2007: Completed Positive Behavioral Support Specialist training. I am a certified Trainer.
- August 3-9, 2008/November 08/May 2009: Graduated from “Taking Charge of Change” leadership training @the McCormick Tribune Center, National Louis University, Chicago.(112 hours of Leadership training). Currently training Directors on related topics.
- November 13-15: Attended 24 hours of Leadership Training on “The Visionary Director” & “Making the Most of Meetings” @the Mc Cormick Tribune Center, National Louis University, Chicago.
- October 8-November 19, 2008: attended 17.50 hrs of the ‘Art OF Leadership” course” @ Austin Community Course.
- January 13-16, 2010: Attended 18 hrs of training on ’Learning Together with Young Children” with Margie Carter and Deb Curtis.
*Received 7 hrs of “Facilitating Adult Learning” while attending and facilitating groups during this training.
- Feb. 22-24, 2010: Completed 0-3 training on Infant and Toddler Development done by national 0-3 Trainers.
- *Mentoring 8 Directors of 8 centers in Austin with the goal of preparing them for Texas Rising Star Certification and National Accreditation.
- *On going developing of training modules for Directors and Staff on topics, such as “Professionalism”, “Diversity in the classroom”, “Creating an appropriate classroom environment”, “Anti-Bias Curriculum”, “Reflective Supervision” and “Leadership in Action”.
- *Providing workshops in the community and at local and State conferences on many topics, especially in the areas of Quality Standards, Management, Leadership and Diversity issues in child care.
- Currently teaching the Taking Charge of Change Austin college course to 29 center directors.
Presentations and workshops:
1997-present: presented several workshops on childcare topics at
local, state and national conferences such as
NAEYC, AAEYC, TPHCCA. Topics included
“Diversity”; “Professionalism”; “Leadership”;
- *Planned a series of workshops for Directors based on training modules from “Taking Charge of Change” leadership training in Chicago during August, 08. Course currently being offered in Austin –October 2009-June 2010.
- 2002-present: Presented at Director Symposiums on “Hiring,
Firing and Retaining staff”; ‘Conflict Resolution
Skills”; ‘Director Round Table Issues”; “Leadership
Presenting aspects of Taking Charge of Change modules and complete modules at conferences and director groups locally and in other areas of Texas to the Early Childhood community